One early morning in 1999.......Cairo, Egypt
It was
sometime between 5:00am to 5:30am so it was still dark outside. The
enthusiastic Egyptian driver showed up on time and off we went. Our hotel, the
Pyramid Park Hotel was just a mile down from the incredibly amazing and super
gigantic Pyramids of Giza.
Seemed
like everybody in Egypt drove in the dark, to preserve battery life, nobody
turned on their headlights at night while driving. I remembered our convoy of 4
tour buses drove through the Sinai Peninsula in the dark. We were escorted by 3
Egyptian police cars. One in the front, one followed at the back and another
police car drove by our side. We all drove in the dark. I was told this was
done not only to preserve car battery life but also to avoid being robbed by
bandits. Some people were afraid of such implications. I thought it was an
adventure and eventually overcame by fatigue. I slept through most of the
journey across the Sinai Peninsula. The
only thing I remembered driving across the Sinai Peninsula was a stop we made
in the middle of the desert, it was a sandwich shop for tourists to get a bite,
to use the washroom, buy snacks, etc. There were men outside the store smoking
water pipes. What got my attention was this gigantic color TV at the entrance
to the sandwich shop playing MTV in the middle of the Egyptian desert? What have we done to these people? We
broadcasted to these desert folks MTV programming from America, hilarious!!!
Here
we were again, driving in the dark through the streets of Cairo with no
headlights. To make matters worse, I realized our driver was driving on the
wrong side of the traffic. The road was divided by concrete blocks in the
center. Our driver would have to drive up to an opening in the concrete median to
make a U-turn in order to get into the correct traffic direction. I supposed
that was asking too much. Since it was so early in the morning, the street remained
abandoned, so he drove in the wrong traffic direction with no headlights.
Nobody
said anything to the driver. I guessed we all assumed he would turn into the
right traffic direction in the next “opening” in the concrete median but that
didn’t happen. As we murmured among ourselves, I could see a jeep parked across
the road with 2 Egyptian policemen in their checkered headdress looking over at
our “high speed minivan” hurtling down the opposite traffic lane. The police
gave chase immediately. At one point, they were paralleled our minivan, separated
by the concrete median. The police were yelling at our van, waving for us to
stop. Now that they were much closer, I could see the machine gun mounted in
the front of their green jeep.
We
decided to speak out or some decided to yell at the driver to “stop this car
immediately” but to no avail. The driver kept driving or was he evading the
police, depended on how you looked at the situation. The police caught up with
us at the next concrete opening, they cut in front of us and forced our van to
a halt. The angry police confronted our driver. Our driver got out of the van,
an argument broke, we thought our driver would be arrested and we would miss
our flights home. To our surprise, the driver strike the police with his elbow
and knocked 1 of the policemen to the ground. Our driver jumped back into the
van and took off with us “IN SHOCK”. I was sitting at the very back of the van.
I turned around and saw the policeman got up from the ground, and the chase was
intensified and one of the policemen was holding the machine gun, the other one
pursuing us.
Some
of us got upset and decided to scream at our driver while he was busy
concentrating on running through stop signs and red traffic lights. Pearl
(another tourist sitting directly in front of me) told me she wanted to throw
up. I suggested her to wait til later; it wasn’t a good thing for the present
moment. I turned to Dennis (another tourist sitting next to me. Dennis was US
Army), who was looking awful calm, and asked if he would kick the back window
open in the event if our minivan rolled over or hit the concrete median. If he
could get himself out from the back window and then to pull me out. I would
pull Pearl out. Once we free ourselves through the back window, we could help
the others to get out from the side windows. I thought I should plan ahead
since people sitting in front of us were either screaming or getting sick.
Quite frankly, it did not look good. Our driver just assaulted the police. A
jeep with a mounted machine gun driven by 2 angry policemen was chasing us. We
were driving on the wrong side of the road. The minivan could be/may be top
heavy with our entire luggage on the top. Slow speed may be do-able. High speed
highly NOT recommended under the circumstance. Thank goodness it was still
early in the morning and the streets remain deserted even though we were still
speeding down the wrong side of the road, it could not get any worse. Until
this oil tanker kept honking at us, bearing down the road directly towards our
minivan. Suddenly, it seemed like everything came to a slow motion……..I could
see the tanker braking hard because its hull started to jackknife. Our minivan
also braked hard. Everybody lurched forward screaming, trying to hold onto our
seats (Oh I forgot, there were no seat belts!!!) Both vehicles skidded to a
complete stop with the oil tanker’s hull diagonally blocking our van.
Some
of us became very angry, we passed the screaming phase, and words were shouted
at our driver. Instead, our driver backed up and sneaked past the small opening
between the back of the tanker and the concrete median. He finally took the
next opening in the median and joined the CORRECT traffic flow. I turned around
and saw the Egyptian police car stopped by the oil tanker. The police did not
pursue us any further. Though I cannot see how they would miss the business
name and phone number imprinted on the driver side door of the minivan. It
would be more prudent to contact the driver later than to risk innocent lives
and unthinkable accident. We were just tourists visiting the Great Pyramids of
Giza and all the historical treasures of Egypt. We did not come to get traffic
tickets. We could do that back home easily without help.
We
arrived at the Cairo International Airport with more policemen patrolling on
the airport’s flat roof, their machine guns pointing down. They did not know
what had just happened. I was glad nobody radioed in “look for a minivan with
screaming American tourists heading towards the airport….” Though we were
intact physically, could not say we were mentally or psychologically intact for
a brief moment after such intense experience.
Glad
it was over and the experience became a story to tell, an adventure to remember
but it was not funny at all during the chase. It was truly terrifying.
Oh, 1 more thing......I was the only one from our van to tip the driver when we got off at the airport :)