Sunday, June 17, 2012


Who’s there? 2007…..Fez, Morocco

Our hotel in Fez was conveniently located within walking distance to the 2 major roads, Mohammed V and Hassan II. The hotel was nicely decorated Moroccan style but it must be old because the elevator could take only 4 people at a time and there were hotel personnel to make sure we didn’t cheat. My room has everything I need, though basic, the air conditioning didn’t work and there were ants on my bed. Peggy (a retired teacher) was assigned to Room 401. Me next door at 403. Jeffrey’s room is directly across from mine.

Dinner was included the night we arrived at Fez at the hotel. I asked Ms. Peggy if she wanted to go downstairs for dinner but she declined stating she brought some food with her and that she did not feel good. I went by myself and sat at an empty table in the dining hall. Jeffrey joined me shortly after. When dinner was finished, Jeffrey asked me “would you fancy one last drink?” He came across as such as nice fellow, so why not, I said yes but then we ran into another group of tourists in the lobby, they invited us to join them to walk to the nearby McDonald. They wanted to try out the menu from a Moroccan McDonald. (Did I mention we just finished dinner?) I was really tired but didn’t want to decline Jeffrey. Now that the group had invited us, he could join the group, and I could go upstairs and retired for the evening.

I could hear footsteps loud and clear in the middle of the night. Thank goodness I turned on the bathroom light with the bathroom door cracked open just to avoid running into furniture. Many times I awoke for no apparent reason; having the feeling someone was going to appear at the foot of my bed. I kept waking up throughout the night and each time, I looked up and thought someone was standing at the foot of my bed. I suspected Ms. Peggy must be up sick all night and walked around her room because I could hear her sandals dragging on the floor through these thin walls.

Jeffrey, Peggy and I shared the breakfast table next morning. I mentioned to them I did not sleep well, kept waking up and expecting someone at the foot of my bed. I asked Peggy how was her sleep because I could hear her walking in the room, suspecting she could not sleep either. Peggy turned and looked at me; puzzled….she said she complained to the hotel front desk about the ants in her room. They moved her to another room. Her room was not occupied. Jeffrey said someone was turning his door knobs all through the night, trying to get into his room. We paused and looked at each other, not wanting to contemplate what could it be………